Posts tagged Built heritage
Posts tagged Built heritage
Just waiting for my bus home looking at another beautiful piece of Freo architecture. #Fremantle #beautifulbuilding
Great pic. This heritage place, at 179 High St, Fremantle, was Classified by the National Trust in 1974.
Built in 1942-43 in Yanchep National Park, Yanchep, these are two Nissan Hut shaped buildings of off-form concrete, with rear exhaust chamber and chimney and rear concrete pit and drains. They were built during the war when the armed services took over the Park and the R.A.A.F. occupied the Yanchep Inn and Gloucester Lodge. They stand about 50 yards apart.The bunkers are important as one of the remaining links with activities during WWII when Yanchep National Park was taken over by the armed forces. The Trust Classified the huts in 1987.
Commissioner of Native Affairs after A O Neville, Mr F Bray did not manage to keep as tight a reign of control over the department, illustrated by an anecdote about him being ‘chased through the corridors…by an irate Aboriginal woman with the fire hose, its canvas loops unrolling behind her, intent on giving Mr Bray a good hiding’.
Pat Jacobs Mister Neville: a biography, Fremantle Arts Centre Press, 1990, p 271
A unique city building is using the City of Perth Heritage Incentive Program to establish a fund to maintain their valuable asset into the future.
(1) Local builder George Stonell has been helping out at Old Farm, Strawberry Hill for nearly half a century.
(2) NTWA Conservation Officer Eric Hancock inspects the roof structure during documentation of the re-roofing work at Old Farm, Strawberry Hill.
(3) Removal of the roof slates at Old Farm, Strawberry Hill reveals evidence of a fire which destroyed the original building on Easter Sunday 1870.
(4) On the right original Welsh slate and on the left slate salvaged from the wreck of the James Matthews, used to repair the roof at Old Farm, Strawberry Hill.
(5) Nigel Carter and Eric Hancock inspect the newly arrived Welsh slate, sourced from the same quarry as the original roof slate at Old Farm, Strawberry Hill.
In 1912 the concept of ‘Miasma’ was the theory that foul air carries germs. Good public building design ventilated rooms well to remove disease-carrying air. This ventilation system was found intact after modern ceilings were recently demolished at 57 Murray St.
This pair of handmade boots was found under the floor at 57 Murray St. Similar concealed footwear has also been found at Woodbridge and the Royal George Hotel. Australian architectural historian Ian Evans has suggested that ‘the use of personal items, such as shoes and garments with their close association with particular persons, served as lures to decoy evil beings into voids from which they could not escape.’
This is the side gate at National Trust property 57 Murray Street, Perth (Chief Secretary/Public Health Department [fmr]), currently undergoing major conservation works.
The Former Public Health and Medical Department building at 57 Murray St was home to a range of government departments which operated from 1912 to the 1990s, including the Public Health and Medical Department and Department of Aborigines and Fisheries.
Many of 57 Murray Street’s exceptional cultural heritage values reflect the State’s control over and surveillance of stigmatised bodies, and the State’s intervention with individual lives, whether Aboriginal or diseased, for most part of twentieth century.
Diseased or Aboriginal people were not permitted to use the front doors but had to use this side access and sit on exposed verandahs waiting to be seen.
Woodbridge, Swan, WA - Classified by Trust in 1973. The place is an important landmark on the Swan River. The house has considerable significance because of its imposing design and because of the continuity of occupancy since the earliest phase of colonial settlement and for the diversity of functions and activities associated with the place over this period of time. It also has significance because of its association with a number of notable individuals including Sir James Stirling, Charles Harper and James Wright.
The house and .54ha (1.25acre) site was vested in the National Trust in 1968. The house was furnished in the manner of a typical Victorian gentleman’s home and has been open to the public for inspection since 1970.
Victoria Hotel & former Billiard Saloon, Toodyay, WA - Both buildings, erected in the late 1890s, were restored in the late-1970s and the billiard saloon, which had two small shops at the front, was incorporated into the hotel as a lounge. The buildings are environmentally important as they contribute significantly to Stirling Terrace. Classifed by Trust in 1977.