Posts tagged Church
Posts tagged Church
All Saints Church and Graveyard at Henry Street, Henley Brook was established in 1839, and Classified by the Trust in 1981. The Church and graveyard are situated on an important historic site. It is thought that in 1827, while on a naval expedition from N.S.W., Stirling camped here and first began planning the Swan River Colony. The church, as one of the oldest in the state, is interesting for its simple construction and severely functional interior. The headstones in the graveyard are a valuable record of the pioneer settlers of the Upper Swan.
Stylistically the church is a simple vernacular building constructed from bricks. Originally built of rammed earth, it was later encased in brick (c.1860) after the walls began to crumble. A new porch and belfry were also added about this time.
The adjoining graveyard contains the gravestones of many well known pioneers in the Swan Valley. In 1929 a lych gate was erected (for the graveyard) to commemorate Stirling’s exploration of the Swan Valley.
St Francis Xavier Cathedral, Geraldton. This remarkable Cathedral is the largest, most imposing and complete building in Australia by J. C. Hawes, a priest/architect of national interest for his highly creative and innovative work. The building with its high elevation is a landmark of the city of Geraldton. Classified by Trust in 1993.
The style of St Francis Xavier which is built of local Geraldton stone, is a masterful blend of various historical and regional styles, for example the Romanesque with its solid masses and forms. The interior, with its unusual banding of colours, is equally dramatic.
The west towers and nave were officially opened on 18 August 1918. The second stage was opened on 28 August 1938.
St Werburgh’s Chapel, Mount Barker, Western Australia, photographed and Classified by the Trust in June 1969.
In 1842 ,due to the difficulty of attending church services in Albany, Lt. George Egerton-Warburton decided to construct a church on his property. He had considerable input into the construction of the chapel, both in the design phases and actual construction. Later additions included a vestry in 1878, and clerestory and bellcote in 1880. The chapel remained the only place of worship in the Mt. Barker district until 1900.
The building is rectangular in plan with a polygonal apse. The walls are constructed of mud walling and the roof is covered with a high pitched hipped roof, originally clad with shingles but now covered with corrugated iron.