Posts tagged Western Australia
Posts tagged Western Australia
Maley’s Mill & Home Cottage, Philips Rd, Greenough, was destroyed by fire overnight. The place was built in 1860, and Classified by the Trust in 1977.
Significant as an existing group of original farm buildings and house complex; part of the original establishment on the Greenough Front Flats. A two-storeyed stone house with adjoining stone mill building converted for use as a farm shed. Built as the “Home Cottage” to the adjacent Victoria Flour mill, the house originally comprised six rooms of mud brick, roofed with sheoak shingles, visible under the iron roof. These rooms now form the northern wing of the extended building. This part of the residence was commenced c.1860. Though not confirmed, it may have been partly built using convict labour. The western wing was added later but completed before 1885.
Jarman Island Lighthouse & Quarters, Jarman Island, Cossack, was constructed in 1888, and Classified by the Trust in 1977. The lighthouse was designed in Birmingham, of cast iron construction, and shipped out in sections. It had a 50 foot tower with a dome of copper sheeting. The lantern was elevated 96 feet above high water level. In clear weather the light could be seen for 15 miles. W.L. Owen, the resident engineer supervised the construction of the lighthouse and the quarters. The stone buildings have quoining on the corners and also to reveals and arches of openings. The ceiling/roof is of domed concrete. The various rooms are accessed by the verandah which encircles the building.
Golden Mile Museum (former British Arms Hotel) at 22 Outridge Terrace, Kalgoorlie, was built in 1899, and Classified by the Trust in 1973. The building has a very narrow street frontage and is two-storyed; The building was once the narrowest hotel in Australia. It is constructed of brick with a corrugated iron roof. The original bar, living quarters and six upstairs guest rooms are now converted for museum use. The Museum was originally the British Arms Hotel, built to catch trade from the Hannan Street Railway Station. It was delicenced soon after the end of the Great War and after that was used for various purposes until acquired by the Golden Mile Committee.
Slater Homestead, on the Goomalling-Dowerin Road, Goomalling, was built in 1852, and extended in 1902. The Trust Classified the place in 1993. The family of George Slater arrived in Fremantle in 1842. They went to New Norcia to work as shepherds for the Benedictine monks. They took up a pastoral lease extending from Kalguddering to Goomalling, based at the Kalguddering homestead. The homestead has social and historical importance as the home of a family who pioneered the district. It was also used as a wayside inn for travellers and explorers such as John Forrest who used the homestead as his starting point.
State Hotel (fmr) sits at the corner of Kane Street (cnr. Station Street), Gwalia, was built in 1903, and Classified by the Trust in 1974. The former State Hotel is a two-storey brick and iron building with a two-storey verandah. The former State Hotel is built in the Federation Filigree style, and it was the first State Hotel in Western Australia and it is an important component of what has been described as a nationally significant townsite.
In June 1959, Gwalia residents signed a petition against the Government’s proposed sale of the State Hotel. After protracted negotiations, the Gwalia Community Co. Ltd. bought/leased the hotel in 1960, for £18,000. The State Hotel continued to be used as a hotel up until the mid-1960s. It closed on 17 January 1964, in a town that by then had only 40 residents. The resurgence of mining at ‘Sons of Gwalia’ led to the restoration and conversion of the former State Hotel by lessee Western Mining Corporation, for its use as an administration office by Sons of Gwalia N.L. In the early 1980s, restoration work was carried out by Sons of Gwalia N.L.
Anchor and Hope Inn (fmr), on the South Western Highway, Donnybrook, was rebuilt in 1865, and Classified by the Trust in 1973. Situated on the main road, the Anchor & Hope Inn is the oldest homestead in the district. It has historical associations as one of a chain of roadside inns on the road to the south-west of the colony. The building is constructed of brick burnt on the property. The roof, originally shingle, was later covered with corrugated iron. The ceiling is matchwood, especially imported by Thos. Hayward and Son of Bunbury.
Mercantile Stevedores at 27-29 Henry Street, Fremantle, was built in 1898, and Classified by the Trust in 1983. A critical element in the streetscape of Henry Street and the West End of Fremantle. A two storied brick facade, stuccoed, with restrained Victorian Classical Revival detailing. The facade, together with 21 Henry Street, is part of the Victorian streetscape of the West End, as established in the 1880s and 1890s in response to Gold Rush expansion at the Port.
Peter Baxendale (consulting engineer) and Geoff Plant (contractor) inspect the heritage listed bridge at Hamel Nursery, a property in W.A’s south west that the National Trust is helping to conserve; it has significance due to associations with the local timber industry.
Israelite Bay Telegraph Station, 200km east of Esperance, Israelite Bay, Esperance, was built in 1896, and was designed by prominent architect, George Temple Poole. The Trust Classified the place in 1978. The remains of the building are a landmark in the remote location. The place has historic significance as a link in the Albany to Eucla and overseas communication system which played an important role in the development of Australia. The social value of the place lies in its capacity to remind present and future generations of the ability of people to build and operate essential services in extremely difficult circumstances.
The Post Office and Telegraph Station at Israelite Bay was established with the construction of the overland telegraph line from Perth to Eucla. The line was opened in 1877. The line was rebuilt with the development of the goldfields in the 1890s and the original timber buildings were replaced by a stone and iron structure in 1896. The building was designed by the Public Works Department under the direction of George Temple Poole and built by A.L. Payne in 1895-96. What remains are the limestone walls and chimneys, a cistern and the foundations of the outbuildings; the roof verandahs and other joinery were sold and removed from the site c.1927.
Jack Housten (sp?) and Elaine Hoskins graffittied the walls of the hall at Old Perth Boys School in the 1930s. The National Trust is currently doing conservation works on the iconic St Georges Terrace place.